Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Age has nothing to do with it

You know I made a promise to myself that once I moved into nicer weather I would start getting more active again, biking,hiking,and working out. I thought I would eat a little smarter and take off a few extra ,pounds that I put on while eating across America. Well I have been getting a lot more exercise, but the eating part- well let's just say it could use a little work. I am not one of these people who blames my weight gain on my age, I know better. Every area we travel has it's unique foods and I always seem to gravitate to the bakeries.
Because of Mardi Gras everyone around here are making "King Cakes", they are absolutely fabulous when made properly and they come in so many scrumptous flavors. (Blueberry and cream cheese, rasberry and cream cheese, cinnamon and cream cheese, praline and cream cheese, etc)  So of course we bought one the day after I made some peanut butter cookies and chocolate chip cookies. 

I got up yesterday and started my day with a piece of the King Cake, then I went out and rode my bike. For lunch I ate some carrots and had a couple of handfuls of some Harry and David "Moose Munch" I had to buy because it was on sale after Christmas. Then in the afternoon I watched Oprah in Australia to occupy myself while I did 45 minutes of pilates. Then another little bike ride.  Dinner was sensible, a grilled pork chop, grilled broccoli, and a tomato caprese salad. But then I ate about 8 peanut butter cookies. So you see I know why when I put my jeans on this morning they were to damn tight!  Age has nothing to do with it, bread and sugar, they are my demise. I write this to shame myself into control.

Speaking of food, we found an absolutley fabulous local seafood shop. Most of you know the gulf coast and cajun country are where you get great crawfish. We bought a couple of pounds and had for them for dinner and the spice on them was to die for!  Nobody cooks them like these people. Also we bought a shrimp I had never heard of before, "Royal Reds". They're on all the menus and are quite pricey. They are naturally salty and sweet so you aren't supposed to season them in any way, they were delish!!

This also  reminds me to talk about the oil spill and the clean up process. This area desperately wants everyone to know the damage has been greatly exaggerated. and that BP is really cleaning up the area better than it was before the spill. They are digging with Excavators to a depth of 4 feet all the way from the water to the dunes, they are sifting the sand to remove all of the oil, and any other debris along with it, and they say that the beaches are cleaner than they have ever been. We have walked the beach and have found some tar balls. I would not have even known what they were if not for one of the beach clean up guys who pulled up on his new big 4 wheeler, bought and paid for by BP, and preceded to pick a couple up. That's what he, and a lot of others get paid to do. It's obvious that BP is spending a tremendous amount of money and that they are taking this cleanup seriously. There are tar balls that wash up on shore on a regular basis and these hunky guys drive up and down the beach keeping them cleaned up. It's very apparent when talking to the locals that they are very happy with how BP has handled this whole thing. 
The fishing in the Gulf has resumed and is back to normal. Everything that is caught and sold is completely safe. They want you to tell every one you know that they can come back now.

No comments:

Post a Comment