Thursday, August 26, 2010

Rob's take

As the pastel blue and pink turned to roayal blue and shades of orange and bronze, the setting sun disappeared over the western horizon. I sat on the lakeshore listening, not only to nature but also to children playing and groups of people in various stages of conversation thruout the campground. Lifes simple pleasures!
I've had enough time on this excursion of ours to confirm the fact that I really don't need a whole lot to make me happy.
Sitting in my canoe on a desolate lake listening to a loon wailing her mournful song, while at the same time, my heart jumps as I feel a tug on the line and in a split second adrenaline fills my veins as I start to battle what eventually ends up nourishing me at the end of the day. Lifes simple pleasures!
In the pristine setting along the shores of a shallow, reed filled lake, Deb searches for mushrooms while I simply enjoy the light breeze and cool temperatures of northern Michigan in August. As I look to my left, I discover what appears to be some blueberry bushes but unfortunately they are mostly void of the delicious berries with only an occassional BB sized berry which is hardly enough to satisfy me.
A mile later, after wandering off by myself because Deb is not moving fast enough for me, I discover acres and acres of luscious plump little berries. Although these are not much bigger than the first ones that I found, they can be picked 5 or 6 at a time which gives me the opportunity to, not only satisfy my hunger but to also fill the Taco Bell drink cup that Deb had me carry. (note to self: put mosquito spray in your backpack). That was now two weeks ago and I just used the last of the blueberries that were aquired that day in my cereal this morning. Lifes simple pleasures!
New York State wine country. After tasting eight different varieties in six different wineries, there is no longer enough discernable difference between them so it's time to go home. Napping in a reclining lawn chair outside the camper at 3 in the afternoon. Lifes simple pleasures!
Although it's sometimes diffcult to put into words the experiences which many people will never really understand because of the fast pace of the 21st century, I have done my best to paint a picture in your mind in order for you to visit part of the world which we now live in. Sit back, close your eyes and enjoy lifes simple pleasures!

No comments:

Post a Comment