Wednesday, September 15, 2010

On to Canada...

   After working my ass off all week at bear camp, I needed a vacation so I was looking forward to heading to Moncton New Brunswick for a little R&R. Deb seemed to have a different agenda after spending the same week in Patten Maine with nothing to do. She wanted to go SEE everything.
   We went to a place called Magnetic Hill. Apparently someone seemed convinced that this 15 ft rise in the ground had such strong "magnetism" that it would actually pull your car all the way to the top so they built a theme park, a zoo and a bunch of tourists shops around it to lure people like Debbie in. Well it worked!
   I don't mean the magnetism, I mean it lured Deb in. As far as the "magnetism", my truck certainly coasted all the way to the top of the hill but only because they had figured out exactly where to place the white post that you are suppossed to park next to on the adjacent hill. Yes, you pay $5.00, drive around the corner to park next to the white post, put your car in nuetral and suppossedly the "magnetism" pulls you to the top of the next hill. Am I the only one who understands that your car will roll down the hill and up the next one????
   Maybe I need to take the idea back to Asheville and build a theme park. I don't have the money yet but if I could get enough ignorant tourists to pay 5 bucks to coast down a hill, I might get enough to do it.
   We didn't buy a T-shirt or a hat.

   We did see a really cool natural attraction that I would have been happy to pay for but it was free. The Chocolate River runs right thru downown Moncton. The water looks just like chocolate syrup but thats not the cool part. Southeast of town is the Bay of Fundy which has the highest tides in the world. When the tide comes in, it comes in so fast that it sends a wall of water about 3 feet high racing up the river. We were on the river when, what they call the tidal bore came up the river. At low tide, the river was flowing southeast. Then came the tidal bore which changed the direction of the river with all of he water flowing up hill in the opposite direction. What is equally amazing is the fact that about 2-1/2 hours later the level of the river was 25 feet deeper, filling the banks to the top.
   When we head back thru there on our way south, I think that I want to witness it right at the bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment